When Melissa and her team at Architecture & Interiors asked Viking Roofspec to participate in her ‘Life Box’ initiative contributing to the cancer charity — ‘Look Good, Feel Better’, they didn’t hesitate.
The purpose of Melissa’s initiative was to convert an old shipping container into a compact, but tastefully appointed and energy-efficient home to be sold at auction; the proceeds of which would be donated to the Look Good, Feel Better charity. Clearly, the greater the contribution Melissa received from materials suppliers and installation contractors, the more profit would be rendered for the cause.
Viking Roofspec provided all the roofing materials with a Viking Approved Applicator installing them on what soon would evolve into a beautiful residence.
Viking Roofspec’s ‘WarmSpan’ was the roof specified to protect the Life Box structure. WarmSpan is a warm-roof-on-steel roofing system for low-slopped roofs, having been engineered in New Zealand. It is one of the industry’s simplest, yet most energy-efficient and cost-effective warm roof systems.
The Life Box Roof
Viking’s WarmSpan system is made up of three components: a wide-spanning steel tray roof deck that is sealed to form the vapour barrier, Kingspan Polyisocyanurate (PIR) rigid insulation panels adhered on top, waterproofed with Viking Roofspec’s Enviroclad membrane.
- For this building, the roof assembly was insulated to a thermal rating of R-4 using industry leading Kingspan rigid polyiso insulation panels
- With the insulation positioned on the building’s exterior as well as the absence of thermal breaks, the dew point is moved to the exterior, resulting in a drier and healthier interior.
- WarmSpan is New Zealand’s only engineer-tested WarmRoof system which also boasts a ‘Group 1-S’ fire rating from testing, to ISO9705 standard — the highest possible fire rating in New Zealand
- Viking Enviroclad TPO waterproofing membrane, is 100% recyclable, due to the absence of chlorinators and plasticisers in the composition of the sheet.
- Viking Enviroclad membrane is water potability certified, meaning drinking water can officially (and more importantly, safely) be collected off the roof
- Viking Enviroclad has New Zealand’s largest colour range of TPO products — providing architects and building owners versatility for the aesthetics of their designs and building structure
- The whole roof assembly is resistant to New Zealand’s harsh coastal and extreme seasonal weather conditions
- It’s Installed exclusively by Viking Approved Applicators to ensure a superior, watertight and professional finish
- WarmSpan is backed by a robust 20-year material warranty.