Made in new Zealand from high strength morthern radiata pine.
- IBUILT™ H5 glue laminated posts (IBUILT™ H5 posts) are supplied for use as structural and non-structural posts
- Their installation can be founded on a structural bracket or in a concrete foundation
- Post applications include: verandas, carports and supporting decks and roofs
Determine IBUILT H5 glue laminated posts size required in accordance with NZS 3604:2011 or using specific engineering design in accordance with NZS 3603:1993 and AS 1720.1-2010 taking into account project-specific factors; loads, wind zones, seismic zone, exposure zone.
Check for fire code obligations When fire obligations apply, as determined by the position of the IBUILT H5 glue laminated posts, specification and design must also be subject to specific fire engineering. Establish installation requirements Installation must be in accordance with NZS 3604:2011 or when specifically engineered to NZS 3603:1993.
If the IBUILT H5 glue laminated posts are to be cast in-ground in a concrete foundation, the following must be specified:
- Hole size
- Post depth
- Install a minimum of 100 mm concrete cover between the post and the base of the foundation hole
- Coating — above and below ground coating is mandatory
A permanent sealing system (oil based alkyd primer plus two topcoats) appropriate for the Hazard Classification and service location must be applied within 2 weeks of installation. The portion of the post that is to be in-ground must be sealed prior to being cast in concrete.
If the IBUILT H5 glue laminated posts are to be founded on a metal bracket, the following must be specified:
- Coating – above ground coating is mandatory in order to maintain the visual appearance
A permanent sealing system (oil based alkyd primer plus two topcoats) appropriate for the Hazard Classification and service location must be applied within 2 weeks of installation.
Finish: Any damage to the post, depressions, or temporary fixing holes must be filled and sanded. Apply a timber plug and exterior timber grade glue for large imperfections. When coating the posts:
- The coating must be applied within 14 days of installation
- An oil based alkyd primer plus two topcoats, ensure adequate coating is applied as per the directions of the paint supplier’s data sheets
- An LRV greater than 45% is recommended
Where subject to a building consent refer to the building consent plans and specifications for the size and location of the IBUILT™ H5 glue laminated posts, the depth of the footing, and fixings.
Where specific assemblies are not contained in the building consent documentation, refer to:
- NZS 3604:2011
- information from all suppliers (structural brackets, coatings, etc.
Hazardous Building Materials