Selwyn Domain is a large popular park and beach situated on the seafront at Mission Bay. Auckland Council recently upgraded the brick toilets and changing rooms facilities which were first built in 1934. The historic building has had many redesigns and upgrades over the years but the exterior has remained much the same.
The toilets and changing room facilities are open to the public all year round and have extremely high traffic particularly in the summer months. Being metres from the beach means they get exposed to sea, sand and sun in all seasons. This requires bathroom fixtures to be extremely robust, durable and vandal resistant as well as the usual requirements of being easy to install and maintain.
MacDonald Industries Technical Consultant Zaina Ali explains, “This type of facility demands a commercial grade specification, it is a high-use public space and traditional fittings simply will not perform or last.”
Some of the bathroom solutions for Selwyn Domain:
Franke Stainless Steel Wall Mounted Toilet Pans and Urinals
Franke vandal resistant stainless steel toilet pans and urinals were specified for this job. Stainless steel has significant advantages when compared to other materials such as being durable and hard-wearing while being aesthetically pleasing.
Wisa concealed cisterns were supplied alongside the toilet pans. They are an excellent deterrent to vandalism because all the mechanical components are protected behind the wall. Only the MacDonald Industries stainless steel face plate with vandal resistant flush mounted buttons are exposed on the wall.
Delabie Temposoft Time Flow Basin Tap
Taps left running can be an expensive waste of water and money in public bathrooms. An effective way of dealing with this issue is to install Delabie timed flow taps which offer maximum water saving by shutting off automatically after seven seconds, which is the necessary minimum for wetting and rinsing.
Other features include soft touch operation which allows users to press the control with no effort, making them suitable for all people in the community from children to the elderly or people with reduced mobility.
Delabie taps are specifically designed to withstand intensive use and vandalism in public bathrooms. They are made from brass and fitted with shock-resistant mechanisms and reinforced fixings. The streamlined design also discourages attempts at vandalism.
Accessible bathroom products installed included Delabie Backrests, MacDonald Grab Bars, Franke Basins and Toilets. MacDonald Industries technical consultants have a thorough understanding of the requirements of accessible bathrooms and were able to advise which products meet NZS4121 standards while also being suitable for high use public bathrooms.
Products supplied for Selwyn Domain Public Bathrooms:
- Delabie Tempostop 2 Time Flow Basin Tap Lever Operated - DE702 400
- Delabie Tempomatic 4 Electronic Urinal Valve - DE430 000-SET
- Delabie Temposoft Time Flow Basin Tap - DE740 000
- Franke Stainless Steel Wall Mounted Toilet Pan - FRWM2
- Delabie outlet connection tube for ceramic urinals - DE752430
- Franke Double Flap Toilet Seat - FRSB
- Franke Stainless Steel Accessible Toilet Suite - FRFM5-300VP
- Franke Stainless Steel Pod Urinal - FR-CMPX538
- Franke Stainless Steel Oval-A Wash Basin With Shroud - FROVALA-ACC
- ASI Surface Mounted Double Toilet Roll Dispenser with Hood - AS74022 HSSM
- ASI Surface Mounted Jumbo Single Toilet Roll Dispenser - AS0042
- Wisa Vandal Resistant Inwall Cistern with Heavy Duty Face Plate - WS2701-VP
- MacDonald Rest-Ezy Toilet Back Rest - BE-BT35
- MacDonald Polyethylene Vertical Baby Change Table - BR100-EV
Location: Tamaki Drive, Mission Bay, Auckland
Project: Refurbished toilet and shower facilities
Client: Auckland Council
Time of Project: Completed July 2021
Architect: Make Architecture
Main contractor: Citycare
Plumbing: Liquid Lines Plumbing