Trade Essentials Strandsarking is a 16.3mm (nominal) thick, high density reconstituted wood panel specifically formulated for use as a roof sarking material under shingles and other similar types of roofing products.
A cost-effective alternative to other roofing substrates, Strandsarking is textured to provide a more slip-resistant surface than that available with smooth sanded panel products. Suitable in roofing applications with a roof pitch of 10º or greater, it can be used with roofing materials weighing up to 150kg/m² and has the added benefit of a 3600 x 800mm sheet size for ease of handling.
Manufactured in New Zealand from FSC certified plantation grown Radiata pine, Strandsarking uses the same zero formaldehyde resin as the well known Strandfloor. Strandsarking meets the requirements of NZS 3640 for hazard class 3.1; each individual strand is treated with a water-based treatment prior to pressing resulting in a fully penetrated treatment, removing the requirement for re-treating cut edges.
In the opinion of BRANZ, Strandsarking — if designed, used, installed and maintained in accordance with the statements and conditions of BRANZ Appraisal No. 891 (2015) — will meet the following provisions of the New Zealand Building Code:
- B1.3.1, B1.3.2 and B1.3.4 Structure
- B2.3.1 Durability
- F2.3.1 Hazardous Building Materials
TRADE ESSENTIALS STRANDSARKING
- 15 year limited warranty
- Environmentally friendly roof sarking product
- Zero formaldehyde resin
- FSC sourced fibre from plantation grown Radiata pine
- Water-based preservative treatment pre-pressing, meaning no untreated core
- Manufactured in NZ
- BRANZ appraised for use with asphalt shingles or similar roofing
- Meets the requirements of NZS 3640 for hazard class 3.1
- For use with timber roof framing
- Can be used in wind zones up to and including Extra High as specified in NZS 3604
- 3600 x 800mm sheet size for ease of handling
- Full technical manual with design considerations available
Strandsarking is sold exclusively by Viking Roofspec, and is used in conjunction with their CertainTeed Shingles and EcoStar Roof Tiles. For detailed information regarding installation and design guidelines, please refer to the Strandsarking Technical Brochure.