New Zealand's climate is one of the world's toughest, with:
- Frequently unrivalled UV levels
- Disproportionate volumes of salt spray over narrow land
- 'Roaring 40s' constantly blowing off the Southern Ocean
- Temperatures ranging from -20°C to +35°C
- Mountain ranges affecting rainfall patterns
- Geothermal activity affecting the pH of the water
All of the above factors will test even the world's highest quality construction products. The roofing and waterproofing sector is a perfect example. There is no room for 'almost-waterproof'.
Viking Roofspec's uncompromising standards have seen its roofing and waterproofing membrane systems specified to withstand the harshest of conditions for the long term. Viking Roofspec has recently added to, and rebranded its CodeMarked and BRANZ appraised torch-on membrane range for roofs, decks and tanking below-ground.
An example of a challenging yet successful installation of these membranes, is the re-roofing of Whakapapa Ski Field's bistro, café and ski rental buildings, using 'Viking GM Lybra' — a two-layer SBS torch-on system manufactured by Italy's General Membrane spA.
SBS membranes, with their high flexibility properties, have been developed to withstand large temperature fluctuations and temperature extremes, so are perfect for New Zealand's Climate Zone 3 (South Island and North Island's Volcanic plateau). The Whakapapa project was a warm roof project using a vapour barrier and rigid Kingspan Polyiso insulation between the substrate and Viking GM torch-on membrane. This system transferred the dew point to the outside of the building, eliminating internal condensation build-up.
The only materials that should be eligible for application in New Zealand's construction sector are:
- internationally proven materials;
- manufactured by internationally recognised manufacturers;
- with substantial warranties;
- engineered as complete 'systems';
- tested and certified specifically for New Zealand conditions; and lastly,
- installed only by licensed applicators.
An exciting addition to Viking's GM torch-on range is the 'Phoenix Super APAO'. This is a premium, two layer, 8mm thick hybrid system, which can be successfully installed anywhere in New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. It has a cold-flexibility quotient of down to -35°C and comes with Viking's longest membrane warranty of 25 years.