With $1.6 billion of new construction consented in December, the total value of all building consents (including alterations and additions) totalled $16.4 billion for the 12 months to 31 December.
Here is my overview of the December Building Consents announcement from Statistics NZ, released on the 29th of January:
Residential: $10.5 billion — up $998 million (10%)
Non-Residential: $5.9 billion — up $814 million (16%)
- Christchurch topped Auckland with $1.9 billion of non-residential consented work
- Education up 40% to $1.1 billion in 2015
- Healthcare and aged care facilities up 30% to $549 million
- 27,1332 new residential dwellings consented in 2015
- Apartments up 48% to 2,539 consents
- Townhouses, flats and units up 34% to 3,656
- Extra 109 consents per day from 2014 (37 a day in Auckland)
To read the full reports and data, visit the Statistics NZ website.