The Homestar New Zealand Technical Manual prepared by the New Zealand Green Building Council (NZGBC) includes MAT-1 Sustainable Materials credit. This aims to encourage and recognise specification and use of responsibly sourced materials that have lower environmental impacts over their lifetime. Pink Batts insulation can help claim points in this category for Homestar house designs.
Points are awarded for the each of the material categories (including insulation) only where at least 50% of the total material content is compliant based on the units of measurement for that category. The compliance measures could include reuse, recycled content, eco-label or responsible sourcing.
Environmental Choice New Zealand
All BRANZ appraised Pink Batts glass wool insulation products are also certified with Environmental Choice New Zealand (ECNZ) — a level A eco-label approved by New Zealand Green Building Council (NZGBC). Not only this, but they were also the first insulation company to achieve ECNZ in June 2004. This means that when designers specify Pink Batts insulation, they are eligible to claim points under ‘MAT 1 – Sustainable Material’ category for their Homestar house design.
Below is the list of documents which can help designers show evidential proof to claim points under the category.
- View the latest ECNZ certificate here
- The Pink Batts product guide highlights all the products that meet the ECNZ certification with a Green Tick in the Environmental Choice column. Alternatively, check their full product list certified under ECNZ on their website
- Recently they also published Environmental Product Declaration which is globally recognised independent assessment of environmental efficiencies of their manufacturing process in New Zealand. The report also gives details on Pink Batts' ECNZ accreditation.
Additional points for Homestar
Pink Batts insulation and PinkFit Installer team can also assist designers to claim points in two additional categories:
- Energy, Health and Comfort (EHC)
- To obtain a 6 star rating there is a minimum requirement of 12 points for the credit ‘EHC-1 Whole House Thermal Comfort’, this credit is part of the EHC category.
- Pink Batts insulation offers high R-value products that will help projects achieve higher R-value elements
- Management (MAN)
- They have got a nationwide network of Pink Batts installer- PinkFit. Designers can claim additional points by choosing PinkFit to install insulation under ‘MAN 3 – Responsible Contracting’.