Adams Architects Limited, an Auckland based full design house who offer architectural, interior design and landscape design services and who specialise in education, commercial building and residential dwelling design, recently specified DuPont Tyvek to protect the enclosure of Mangere Central School, in South Auckland.
Kyle D'Mello, lead designer on the project, who has been involved with other high profile education projects including Mt Roskill Primary School and Massey Community House said, "Specifying DuPont Tyvek was an easy decision."
"Our firm endeavours to minimise risk for all involved on our projects by specifying proven, high performance products. DuPont is a 214 year old company. DuPont Tyvek HomeWrap has been installed on approximately 15 million buildings, behind different claddings and in different climates around the world since 1978. We know it is field tested over a long time period," said Kyle.
"In 2016, DuPont Tyvek also continues to have the best balance of performance properties necessary to effectively and efficiently protect the enclosure of buildings from moisture. Keeping air and water away from the framing, while letting internal vapour escape, is just as relevant today as it was back in 1978."
"DuPont Tyvek has proven to be an economical solution for protecting the enclosure of the schools we design and the contractors have been happy with the ease of installation," said Kyle.
Compatible DuPont Tyvek Weather Barrier System Products installed on Mangere Central School included:
- DuPont Tyvek HomeWrap Wall Underlay: The most installed building underlay/wrap in the world. It is compatible with most wall claddings in cavity and direct fix applications. DuPont Tyvek HomeWrap can be exposed to UV for up to 120 days. This gives the contractor extra time if there are construction delays due to weather, labour shortage or problems with sourcing cladding materials.
- DuPont Tyvek Contractor Tape for Underlay Overlaps: An acrylic seam tape engineered by DuPont to seal overlaps in the DuPont Tyvek building underlay. This helps maximise resistance to air and water infiltration. The tape also provides an easy way to repair any tears in the underlay that may occur during the construction process.
- DuPont Flashing Tape for Window & Door Openings: A 100%, butyl rubber peel and stick adhesive tape used to protect window and door rough openings from moisture intrusion. It is compatible with most building materials including DuPont Tyvek HomeWrap and treated timber.
Other High Profile Projects protected with DuPont Tyvek building envelope products in recent months include:
- Bob Scott Retirement Village, Petone (DuPont Tyvek HomeWrap Wall Underlay & DuPont Tyvek Contractor Tape)
- Bupa Apollo Retirement Village, Mairangi Bay (DuPont Tyvek HomeWrap Wall Underlay & DuPont Tyvek Contractor Tape)
- Observatory Retirement Village, Oamaru (DuPont Tyvek Supro Roof Underlay)
- St Andrews Retirement Village and Care Home, Hamilton (DuPont Tyvek HomeWrap Wall Underlay & DuPont Tyvek Contractor Tape)
- St Heliers Town Home Development, St Heliers (DuPont Tyvek HomeWrap Wall Underlay & DuPont Tyvek Contractor Tape, DuPont Flashing Tape for Windows, DuPont Supro Roof Underlay)
- Mike Greer Homes Residential Development, Papakura (DuPont Tyvek HomeWrap Wall Underlay, DuPont Tyvek Contractor Tape, DuPont Flashing Tape for Windows, DuPont Tyvek Wrap Cap Fasteners to secure wall underlay)
- Westgate Shopping Mall, Massey (DuPont Tyvek HomeWrap Wall Underlay & DuPont Tyvek Contractor Tape)