For over 60 years, New Zealand owned Steel & Tube has been a leading provider of steel solutions, while DuPont is a 214-year-old science-focused company, which among its list of achievements, invented the synthetic building underlay category back in 1978. Together, the two companies form a formidable partnership.
Steel & Tube has proven credibility among roofing contractors, and geographic reach through its 48 branches. DuPont has a proven product range, with recent innovation in roofing products.
"Education and technical support to the architect and contractor are areas we have made a strategic decision to invest in more heavily," says Mark Waterman, National Manager of Steel & Tube Roofing. "DuPont and share our vision and commitment to delivering these services."
To increase support for DuPont Tyvek building envelope products in New Zealand, DuPont has appointed a Technical Manager, who will be based in Auckland. The new technical manager will have access to DuPont’s Global Building Science Resources in North America and Europe.
Paul Henry, Key Account Manager for DuPont Protection Solutions says DuPont has the best system of weather barrier products in the world. "Moisture vapour in buildings is a popular topic in New Zealand at present. Many people are confused on when and if vapour barriers are actually needed on New Zealand buildings. DuPont chemical engineers in North America and Europe have vast research and development experience on this topic. DuPont wants to be involved in this journey," he explains. "We want to give New Zealand better access to our vast research and development resources in Virginia, USA, and Luxembourg, Europe, and felt local DuPont representation was critical to facilitate the use of these resources."
He says there is a lot of confusion about condensation and moisture vapour transmission in NZ. "Most countries around the world have faced similar problems with modern building design," he says. "Increased insulation and the use of superior weather barriers has reduced the number of air changes per hour in buildings. DuPont has assisted countries in Europe, Asia and North America solve these problems over the past 38 years."
Recent High Profile Projects featuring DuPont Tyvek building envelope systems:
- Bupa Apollo Retirement Village, Mairangi Bay (DuPont Tyvek HomeWrap Wall Underlay and DuPont Tyvek Contractor Tape)
- Bob Scott Retirement Village, Petone (DuPont Tyvek HomeWrap Wall Underlay and DuPont Tyvek Contractor Tape)
- Observatory Retirement Village, Oamaru (DuPont Tyvek Supro Roof Underlay)
- St Andrews Retirement Village and Care Home, Hamilton (DuPont Tyvek HomeWrap Wall Underlay and DuPont Tyvek Contractor Tape)
- St Heliers Town Home Development, St Heliers (DuPont Tyvek HomeWrap Wall Underlay and DuPont Tyvek Contractor Tape, DuPont Flashing Tape for Windows, DuPont Supro Roof Underlay)
- Westgate Shopping Mall, West Auckland (DuPont Tyvek HomeWrap Wall Underlay and DuPont Tyvek Contractor Tape)