Viking's SBS Torch-on Membrane proved the perfect solution for an award-winning Queenstown property that needed a watertight roof installed in the middle of a harsh winter.
A 1,300m² luxury accommodation residence being constructed on the peak of Queenstown Hill needed a waterproofing solution for its low-slope roof. The architects originally specified a fully-adhered membrane system, however this proved problematic with the construction timetable dictating a winter installation. The cold temperatures, snow and ice could compromise the use of adhesives.
Viking Roofspec suggested the use of one of their two-layered torch-on systems, Viking GM Lybra SBS. The torch-on application method meant it could be installed in winter conditions without any adverse impact on water-tightness or quality.
Viking GM Lybra SBS (styrene butadiene styrene) is specially formulated to perform in areas of climatic extremes. Its rubberised asphalt and elastomeric properties allow it to fluctuate between winter and summer climate extremes without fracturing. This flexibility was advantageous for the project as Central Otago temperatures range from -15°C in winter to 30+°C in summer.
Additionally, the dark colour and natural tones of this membrane system's ceramic chip surface, matched the stonework and contemporary design of the stunning property which features a large sunken fire pit, a cinema, bar and yoga platform.
This was a demonstration of Viking Roofspec using their technical knowledge to ensure a robust solution was specified; one that would deal with the harsh climatic extremes beyond the 20 year warranty period.
The Viking Approved Applicator felt good about the fact that the membrane type specified would not hold up proceedings, commenting that Viking GM Lybra SBS "allowed us to complete the project in tough conditions and still get a perfect finish on time."
The residence was also the winner of 2016 TIDA New Zealand Architect-Designed New Home. View the video above for a drone tour of the finished roof and its stunning views.
Viking was so confident with the specification and the workmanship of the Approved Applicator that a Viking Full System Warranty was issued for this project. This is a unique warranty whereby the installation and materials are both covered in one warranty document for a 20-year period.
Viking GM Lybra SBS Advantages:
- S.B.S. membranes have a lower melt point and high cold-flexibility credentials allowing them to be exposed to low temperatures without fracturing.
- Cold flexibility down to -15°C assists application in extreme cold climatic conditions
- Excellent dimensional stability and avoids shrinkage of the waterproofing membrane surface.
- Ceramic Chip Cap-Sheet which offers:
- Stronger UV resistance — resulting in an increased service life of the roof.
- Aesthetic appeal — it provides a crisper, more uniformed and more consistent colour-fastness with a better looking, professional finish.
- More robust surface — The ceramic chip is a harder chip than mineral, so there's a high resistance to tread wear, with less deterioration and loss of chip over its lifetime. Being slightly less coarse, it is more embedded in the bitumen sheet, so it doesn't delaminate as easily.