Right in the heart of Brisbane’s Fortitude Valley, a premium grade office tower at 900 Ann Street has become the home for leading freight company Aurizon and will soon become the new centralised headquarters for renowned engineering consultancy firm WSP QLD.
The 15-level commercial building has achieved 5-star NABERS and Green Star Ratings and features a number of stunning design elements including open floor areas illuminated by natural light, large conference rooms, a mezzanine floor with a communal area and cafe, outdoor terraces, dedicated bicycle parks and a two-floor basement car park with over 100 spaces.
Situated next to the historic Fortitude Valley Holy Trinity Church Precinct, John Wardle Architects designed the office tower to keep a connection between ecclesiastical and commercial activities. A pedestrian crossing runs between the new building and the church site, with greenery wrapping around the base of the ground floor lobby, under a glass canopy that unfolds from the main tower facade.
The external design is a blend of sharply crafted piercing lines and rebellious geometric shapes creating a truly unique building profile over a wide footprint. This complex yet delicate approach to design extends to the internal areas of the building where Hassell Architects have created something quite striking.
Bringing Hassell’s vision together, Hutchinson Builders entrusted leading QLD based contractor Scooter Commercial to ensure the ambitious design was executed with an unparalleled level of workmanship and quality. Assisting Scooter with this task, Studco QLD supplied a range of premium products into the project including Concealed Ceiling systems, Steel Stud Systems, Strongarm, Heda Tough Wall Systems and an array of EZ Concept Finishing Systems for that added clean, modern and precise finish.
Working in close collaboration with Scooter Commercial & Hutchinson Builders, Studco’s technical team was in full swing to provide a number of innovative and economical engineered design solutions. With an aggressive project schedule, same-day engineering details were provided to the client and further followed up with material requirements meticulously packed and delivered the next day for construction.
Some of the key Studco engineered design elements for 900 Ann include:
- External Elements:
- Studco’s 150mm Stud System design to support brick feature facade wall system in various areas
- A number of external window opening designs to accommodate the intricate window shapes and positions
- Ground level soffit design accommodating a 3m drop whilst wrapping around the majority of the building
- Internal Elements:
- Various feature walls, including 8m high aluminium blade support walls designed as a single Studco stud system
- Atrium glazing supports and associated framing to accommodate the ambitious glazing requirements and respective continuous junctions
- Bench seat framing in various communal areas
- Various door opening supports for auto-slider units within a number of corridors and office areas.
Coordinating the fundamental supply chain for material to the project, Studco’s Customer Service and Logistics teams worked in close and constant communication with the client to fulfil specialised pack and crane lift requirements, strict delivery windows and often coordinating accommodating same day deliveries.